of Maryland's and the Mid-Atlantic's most historic tracts of land,
Elk Landing, is the location of Cecil County's most important heritage.
Situated at the confluence of the Little Elk and Big Elk Creeks,
this site is on the area's earliest transportation corridor and
played a role in many significant historical events:
-The Swedes and Finns established an early trading post at this
location, which they called Sahakitko.
-Zebulon Hollingsworth, in the early part of the 18th Century, acquired
two parcels of land creating the site known as Elk Landing.
-British troops numbering 15,000 to 18,000 passed through the area
in August, 1777 on their way north to capture the American capitol
The British returned on April 29, 1813 but Elkton was saved from
burning by defense from Forts Hollingsworth and Defiance in the
War of 1812. In the early 19th Century it was a port
harboring boats loaded with Cecil flour, iron, nails, wood, pork
and lumber departing for Baltimore and returning with coal, molasses,
coffee and whiskey.
In 1887, Henry Deibert started constructing canal boats at Elk Landing
which were launched sideways into the Little Elk Creek. This stone
building at Elk Landing was originally constructed as a dwelling,
and later became a tavern. Photo circa 1930. Click
on this link to learn more about the Deibert Brothers Barge
Building at Elk Landing.
See our timeline for additional detail
about Elk Landing between 1600 and the present time.
to view the 2010 Press Releases
to view the 2011 Press Releases
to view the 2012 Press Releases
for details on the Deibert Brothers Barge Building at Elk Landing
to view the Deibert Diorama pamphlet